Client: Harry & Eloise Hernly
Location: Winchester, IN
Use: Residential, Single-family
Size: 1,642 s.f.
This house, designed by Stan Hernly (Owner of Hernly Associates, Inc.) for his parents, incorporates many design features similar to their previous residence of 50+ years and many new features more suitable for an aging couple. Similar features include:
- Windows on three sides of the frontward projecting Living Room provide views up and down the street.
- A free-standing TV/desk feature separates the Kitchen/Dining area from the Living Room yet provides acoustic connection.
- The Kitchen, with counter space along three walls, provides an informal dining area that can be set in a more formal manner.
- Natural light in bathrooms.
- Spaces equivalent in size to previous spaces for Living Room, Kitchen/Dining Area, and Master Bedroom.
New features include:
- Single-level for all spaces with no step from garage to house and no steps at any exterior doors.
- All exterior and interior doors at least 36” wide.
- Vaulted ceiling of main living areas to emphasize connection and volume.
- Screened porch for more enjoyable outdoor bug-free activities.
- Low maintenance exterior materials.
- Entrance area separate from but adjacent to Living Room.
- Additional bedroom and bathroom.
- Connected two-car garage.
The 3-D computer model, created with Sketchup Pro software, was very useful in demonstrating the house design, visualizing various material and color options, and easing the transition from old house to new house.